You are here
The Selimiye Mosque, located near the Selimiye Kışlası (Selimiye Barracks), was built with a muvakkithane (time-keeping room), a water fountain, and a sabil (sebil) by Sultan Selim III (1761-1808). The mosque was built in a wide courtyard which has four entrance doors and its Western architectural style illustrate the the cultural influence of that period. In additon, since the minarets of the mosque originally appeared massive, their stones were later sharpened and made thinner. In 1823, one of the minarets completely collapsed, and the other one partially collapsed due to a strong southwest storm . Later, both minarets were erected again.
The mosque was built using cut stones during the period that Ahmed Nureddin Efendi was one of the cheif architects, but it is unknown as to who the architect was. The dome of the mosque measures 14.60m in diameter, has five window series, and is supported with four half-domes. It is not difficult to say that the mosque, whose mihrab and pulpit are made of porphyry, is a masterpiece of marble workmanship and carpentry.